Monday, August 24, 2026

Minister McEntee meets with Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Chris Bryant MP

The Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Helen McEntee TD, today (24 August) met with the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Chris Bryant MP, for their first in-person meeting, which follows an introductory phone call after his appointment last month.

Following the meeting, Minister McEntee said: “I was pleased to welcome Secretary of

State Bryant to Dublin today and look forward to working closely together. Our discussions focused on the implementation of the Joint Framework on the Legacy of the Troubles, political developments in Northern Ireland, and a range of other issues.

“I reiterated the need for both Governments to deliver on the commitments we have made under the Joint Framework and outlined the progress made by the Irish Government in this regard. Victims and families have waited too long for truth and accountability, and I hope to see the Northern Ireland Troubles Bill progress through Parliament shortly, so that both Governments fully meet our commitments under the Joint Framework.”

Minister McEntee continued: “As Presidency of the Council of the European Union, Ireland is ambitious in promoting positive EU-UK relations. I was pleased to discuss the progress that has been made over the past two years, and continuing the positive momentum in this relationship with Secretary Bryant ahead of the next EU-UK Summit. I also underlined the importance of continued cooperation and implementation of the Windsor Framework. The Windsor Framework protects the gains of the Good Friday Agreement, and ensures certainty and clarity for people and businesses in Northern Ireland as well as the integrity of the EU's Single Market.

“The partnership between our two Governments, as co-guarantors, remains central to protecting and advancing the Good Friday Agreement in all its dimensions. I look forward to continuing to work closely with the Secretary of State to deliver practical outcomes for people in Northern Ireland and across these islands.”

No comments:

Post a Comment